11 super-fun outdoor winter activities and toys for the whole family
It cannot be easy to find fun activities for winter, especially for teenagers and older children. Winter months can be dark, boring, and long. Cold weather and shorter days can lead to unhealthy lifestyles, such as overeating, too much internet time, or excessive sleeping.
While you don’t have to entertain your kids all winter, it is a good idea to make a list of things to do when they are bored. If your child complains about being bored or spending too much time on electronics, suggest that they choose something from their list.
The entire family can enjoy these activities. These are easy ways to show your teen lots of love and affection during the winter months.
Enjoy Outdoor Winter Activities
Your child’s mental and physical health is dependent on fresh air, sunshine, and regular physical activity. Encourage him to get outside and move.
Your teen may be anxious about looking good outside. However, they should dress appropriately for the weather. Children in winter are at risk from hypothermia and frostbite.
If your teen intends to take part in winter sports like skiing, snowboarding, or hockey, make sure they wear helmets and other safety gear.
These are some winter activities that your teen can enjoy if you live somewhere cold.
- Make a snowman or a snow fort
- Take part in a winter photo scavenger hunting
- Winter camping with your family is a great way to learn survival skills and have fun.
- Have a snowball fight
- Invite friends to a bonfire with your teen.
- Organize a competition for snow sculptures
- Ice fishing
- Ice skating
- Pond hockey
- Help someone in need by shoveling snow
- Skiing, cross-country or downhill
- Snow tubing
- Winter hiking
Your teen will need indoor activities to keep them busy in cold, dark, or snowy conditions. While it’s OK to surf the internet, watch TV or play video games for a reasonable time, you should set limits on how much screen time your teen can spend.
Winter months can be used to inspire your teen to find hidden talents and to explore new interests. It’s possible to keep their minds and bodies active with a bit of imagination and creativity.
Here are some indoor activities that teens will enjoy:
- Yoga classes
- Take out any clothes or household items that you don’t use and clean them out. You can either donate them to charity or sell them online.
- Each family member will be responsible for preparing a meal.
- Visit an indoor waterpark
- Start a book club or join one.
- Join a gym
- Learn a new skill
- Learn magic tricks and card tricks
- Take the family on a vacation
- Every week, read one book
- Swimming in an indoor pool
- Take an art class
- As a family, take turns choosing online workout videos that you can all do together
- Visit a museum
- You can watch a play
Things to do when you’re bored in winter
Encourage your kids to get active with their friends to help them deal with winter boredom. Social skills can be developed by having friends beyond school. Invite a friend to your child’s party or organize a gathering with friends.
This can be an excellent opportunity to learn specific social skills such as making phone calls (instead of just texting). Teaching life lessons about friendship, such as the importance of being a good host and reciprocating social invitations, is a great way to teach.
These are some ways that your teen can keep healthy friendships throughout the winter.
- Do a movie marathon
- Organize a tournament of video games or board games
- Host a slumber party
- Let your teen plan and put on Valentine’s Day party
- Take part in a fundraiser together
Keep Moving and Active
Don’t lose heart if you have trouble finding activities to keep your family engaged. Try new things. You might even pick activities together each week to share with your family.
You’ll be more active and healthier in the winter if everyone moves. You’ll also teach your healthy teen habits she can use throughout her life.
Keep the whole family entertained this winter! DIY and design expert, Leigh-Ann Allaire Perrault has a variety of fun winter toys and products from an indoor ice rink to a faux-snow igloo!